Sunday, August 23, 2009

Dorm room:

Well, this is almost everything I brought with me to school. We packed up the car on Thursday afternoon and this is mainly what came with me. My laptop case isn't in there, and there may be one or two other small things that I didn't pack up. But yes, the sewing machine did come with me and so did some other crafting stuff. I have to bring some stuff with me, right? :) So this is my room. My home away from home. It seems so weird. But it's nicer than I thought it would be. I get the bottom bunk! And I get the dressar that's farthest away from the beds. I practically have the whole room to myself because my roommate is pretty much living with her boyfriend this semester. It's kind of nice because I don't think we really click. At all.
This is my desk. I've never had a desk before so it's kind of nice to have one now. I have my mini-fridge next to it too. This is my roommate's desk. She brought shelving and everything. She seems like a very organized person. Maybe I'll learn something from her. I'm not exactly the most organized person. That door is our bathroom. I was so happy that I didn't have to share a bathroom with a bajillion people. Call me snobby or germaphobic, but I am much happier with my own bathroom!

These are my roommate's fish. They are live-bearing fish and they eat their own young. When I first saw them there was a little baby fish swimming around. I didn't see it again till this morning. I thought it had gotten eaten, but it looks like it's surviving still. Though I'm not quite sure how. I don't know if my roommate has actually fed them since she put them in here.
So college life is quite an adjustment. I'm not sure I actually like it. And even though I'm not going to parties, you can't get away from some of the wild crazy stuff down here. Last night I went out with Courteney, which was fun. It made me feel more relaxed about being here. She showed me the Rec Center and where to catch the bus to get to class and things like that. I found my PRT station yesterday. I went out and caught the PRT downtown to the MountainLair and had someone show me where my classes are going to be. But I'm changing my class schedule so it will be a little bit different. I dropped physics and I'd like to drop accounting. I want to pick up a music class or dancing class, but so far when I tried to register it won't let me do anything.
We're going out this afternoon for something called Convocation. It's a University welcome and is a requirement for University 101 which I'm not taking this semester but will apparently need to take in order to graduate. Honestly, I feel like I'm just going to try to get through this semester and if I don't like it by the time I finish I'll transfer back home. I miss my family and the dogs. And my friends and my car and knowing how to get everywhere. I didn't think I'd feel homesick but I do. I'm glad I'm going home this coming weekend. It will be sort of a relief.
So last night I set off my fire alarm in my room. I took a shower and when I came out of the bathroom I left the bathroom door open and the steam set off my fire alarm. I was pretty embarrased! I had originally thought that everyone's alarms were going off because someone pulled the fire alarm but, no, it was just my room. People were coming out of their rooms to see what was going on and two of my RAs came in and told me to start fanning the alarm and then they said to open my window the next time I took a shower.
So now I'm a little bit afraid to take a shower! Ha ha!
Courteney is taking me to the Bible study she goes to on Tuesday night. We're also going to try to take a yoga class at the Rec Center. It should be fun. The rec center is really nice.
Oh yeah, one last thing: I got my braces off on Wednesday! No more metal mouth! Except I do have to wear my retainer for a year so that's not really fun. But it's still better than braces. I'm pretty pleased!










No comments: