Saturday, June 6, 2009

Back from orientation and just a little disoriented~

On Thursday afternoon Dad and I left for Morgantown to visit my new "home" for at least the next 2 years. Unless I drop out, flunk out or transfer someplace different.

We stopped at the Coliseum first. I had to take the Quantitative Reasoning Assessment at 7:30 pm. It was awful! After all the students finished taking the QRA we boarded the bus that took us back to the Coliseum. It is kinda nice inside. I didn't think to take a picture of the outside.

Dad and I drove around and saw the Medical campus and the downtown campus. The Medical campus (or Evansdale campus) looks much newer. I personally think the downtown campus is prettier. I didn't get any pictures of the Medical campus or my dorm (although I drove past it a few times), but I was able to go outside during lunch on Friday (when the actual orientation took place in the Mountain Lair) and get some pictures of the street we were on.
Here they are:






It was a long day. We started off by checking in and getting our photo ids taken (mine was pretty bad...even Dad said so, haha!) and then meeting upstairs in the ballroom where we "met" some of the staff and learned a little bit about the school. We went to meetings with our Resident Faculty Leaders (RFLs or Riffles) to learn about our residence halls and the events they have planned there. We talked to advisors and set up schedules. I have the worst courseload ever! Chemistry, Physics, Trigonometry, Accounty and Social Psychology. And I may have another class too which I can't remember right now. I have labs for the science courses too. It's pretty awful. I have to take all the math classes as prerequisites for the science courses. I have to take the science courses as prerequisites for the nutrition courses. I'm not sure when I'll get to take the actual nutrition courses. Hopefully next semester! I'm thinking I may try to get some of the science courses next summer when I'm home on break. Even though I would hate to take summer classes I think it would be better than trying to cram everything in during the regular semester. We had lunch and then finalized our schedules and picked up our photo ids and checked out the organizational fair and then went home. I drove all the way home! It went very well. The worst part was merging on to 70 and then onto 81. But God kept us safe and we arrived home around 6-6:30 pm.

I'll be honest, I'm a little nervous and sad that I'm leaving for school. I don't have this overwhelming excitement about going. I will miss my family and friends here. I worry that I won't make friends. I worry that I'll hate my classes. I worry my roommate and I won't get along. I worry I will get totally lost and be mugged or something. I feel like I'll be completely out of my element. I'm sure I'll be out of my element. All things that I have to give to God and trust with Him. Mom and Dad have told me that they won't be the least bit upset if I decide I don't want to go back. They say I can always transfer somewhere else. They also said I can get married and quit school if I meet someone and decide to do that (It sounds like a funny thing to say but I have friends whose parents would be furious if their daughters did that). I won't be happy though until I give it a try. There are a few things I'm excited about. There are lots of clubs to get involved in including Campus Crusade for Christ, Baptist College Ministries, Cooking Club, American Dietetics group, a great student recreation center with lots of exercise classes, various trips and other things. I'm trying to focus on those things instead of the 'what ifs' and negative thoughts I have. I'm trying to remember that God has a plan for me. I'm trying to remember that I'm never alone because Jesus is always with me. I'm trying to remember that this is an opportunity to grow closer to Him and to glorify Him.

I don't deal with changes and transitions very well. I'm definitely a work in progress when it comes to that!

No comments: