Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Traction and Tuesday Trifle...or chocolate cake, strawberry, whipped cream thingy...

One Tuesday on my way to Bible study from the chiropractor I called my sister to see if she needed anything at the store for Bible study while I was up that way. She said no, but her dessert was ruined. But she had another plan for it. So in the end I went to her house to see if I could help set up and she taught me how to make this dessert. She kind of came up with it herself. She was trying to make truffles with chocolate cake and melted chocolate and something didn't go according to plan. This is what you do:

  • First of all you choose a cake mix. I used a dark chocolate cake mix from Pillsbury. I think. If I was really ambitious the night I made it I would have made a cake from scratch. I'm sure it would have been better. But I made the cake on Monday night to take to work the next day so I wasn't feeling very ambitious. Maybe next time.
  • Melt chocolate chips to spread over the cake you just made. I chose Ghiradelli milk chocolate since I used a dark chocolate cake.
  • I just melted it in the microwave and used a knife to spread it over the cake like frosting.
  • Then I cut the cake into squares and put it in the freezer for half an hour.
  • Crumble the chilled/frozen cake into a bowl so there is a layer on the bottom. (Ignore that first bullet. I don't know how to get rid of it without deleting my picture.)
  • Then layer it with whipped cream and strawberries.

And you can decorate the top of it with the strawberry pieces.
Then take it to work with you so you don't eat the whole thing yourself. My sister made enough to make 2 layers of cake and whipped cream and strawberries. I kept half of it out that night for my family to make into their own desserts. One thing we found out was that if you are going to make this the night before then don't assemble the layers until the next day. Or even better, wait until you are about to serve it. The whipped cream doesn't hold up very well. I brought the rest of the can with me to the office so they could add to it if they wanted to.

So I finally feel like I did something somewhat creative. :) So glad Jacqueline made that lucky mistake. As Matt said, "instead of a mess it became a....bless(ing). " We all try our hand at rhyming sometimes, right? :)

On Tuesday the chiropractor started me on my treatments for my neck. They put it in traction which was very uncomfortable and I tensed my neck up and ended up hurting my neck muscles. It hurt all night. I was dreading going back today. So when they started me back in traction again today I asked them if that was normal to be really sore afterwards and they said no and I shouldn't be tensing up my neck. They helped me find ways to be more comfortable and relax and it helped SO much. I feel fine now. Maybe this treatment won't be so bad.

I can't wait to work on some projects. Soon hopefully. Somehow I feel like this summer I may be able to get stuff done.

I found out this week that my doctor is also leaving the practice. I am sad that she is leaving, but also excited for her. I hope this move will be a very positive experience for her. I've really enjoyed working with her.

Once again, things are always changing. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Detached mostly. I feel like since I'm leaving eventually it doesn't affect me quite as much. Though if we get another doctor soon I will most likely be working with them until I move. Unless they let me go. I don't know. I really am not very concerned about the situation though. I believe that God has the whole thing under control. He has it all under control.

It's Wednesday! Tomorrow is Thursday. Payday! And my last day of work before the weekend. Yay!
Until later~

1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

I like your color changes - and you did a much better job detailing the process of that torte than I did. :)