Saturday, January 3, 2009

Looking back on 2008:

What a crazy year! It was so fast! I thought I'd take a moment to reflect on some of the major events of the year (cause I'm sentimental like that.).

Some of the highlights:
  • Blogging. That's probably a funny one to start off with, but I really am thankful for this blog. I have 178 posts from last year to look back on and remember. I'm so glad that I can go back and read those posts and remember the little and large things that happened last year. So much changes in a year's time.
  • Bringing in the 2008 with Cheryl and the Tyners and Beidlers and Josh. I begged and begged my parents to have a party and they agreed and I ended up SO tired that I felt like I was going to fall asleep the whole night. It was still a lot of fun. I'm glad we had a party.
  • Tuesday night Bible studies. These came at a time when I really needed it. The importance of fellowship with believers can't be underestimated.
  • Finding out that I am going to be an aunt. That is actually some of the most exciting news I've had ever. Life is so precious, and this new little life has me so excited that I can hardly contain myself.
  • TEXAS! Need I say more? Maybe not, but I will! I love that state, and I love Cheryl! I had a great time down there.
  • My new job with my old boss. :) It's nice to be back with Dr. H and Pam. Even though work really stresses me out sometimes.
  • Visits with friends. Friends are truly one of God's greatest gifts! Each of my friends are a blessing and I love them and the time we get to spend together whether it's at a Bible study, sewing-get-together, movie night, annual Christmas shopping trip, holiday gathering, etc., it is always a precious thing to spend time with your friends.
  • Going back to school. While I don't particularly like my school or enjoy my classes, I am glad I went back and that I finished the requirements for my 2 year degree. At least I got that much finished.
  • Campus Crusade for Christ. It's been frustrating and discouraging at times, but I'm really glad that I get to be a part of this group. All in all it's been a real blessing.
  • Sneak Peek. A free weekend in DC and an opportunity to meet new people. Fun fun fun!
  • Cheryl's visit in October. Cheryl is one of my favorite people. Hands down.
  • Phil Keaggy and Fernando Ortega concert. Those guys knocked my socks off. They were A*W*E*S*O*M*E!!!
  • Thanksgiving with the Freys. I got to be a Frey for a day and it was fun!
  • The price of gas dropping to below $2 per gallon!
  • Christmas with my family. It was one of the nicest and most relaxing Christmases I've had in a long time. It was 'loverly.'
  • RADIATE 08. 5 days in DC with Cru and bringing in the New Year with new friends met there. It was a good conference. The speakers were awesome. But that's for another blog post, which will come soon!
So those are some of the highlights of this past year. It was a good year. Here are some of the not-so-amazing things that happened, but were still pretty big:
  • Getting laid off at my job. Layoffs really stink. I feel sorry for people who go through them.
  • My sister's miscarriage. It affected us all. Not only were we really sad that their baby died, it is just really hard to see the ones you love in pain and grieving.
  • Gas prices reaching $4 a gallon.
  • My job at Dr. C's office. While this wasn't totally bad (I mean I got paid to be there and it was experience and a reference) it wasn't my favorite job.
  • The election. Not only was this one of the nastiest elections I've seen so far, I was also disappointed with the outcome. And that's all I'm going to say on the matter.
  • Seeing all our Weimaraners leave. I miss my little Hank. And Dancer. And even Jumper. Goodbye forever.
  • I got my first cavity and filling. It was quite an experience. I feel like I can relate to the patients better now. It sounds weird, but aside from the shot (which really wasn't that bad) I kind of enjoyed it. It was a different experience. And I wouldn't let any other doctor except the one I work for give me a filling because so far she is the best doctor I have worked with, and I've worked with 5 dentists by now.
  • Grandma getting sick and losing her vision.
  • The move, which never happened. I'm not sure if I should put this under the 'great' category or 'not-so-great' category. It made life a lot more stressful which wasn't great. It is not going to happen anymore so now we have some idea of what's going on in our life which is 'great!'
You know, even during the difficult times that tried us and discouraged us, I can look back and say Jesus was with us during the whole thing. And I can say that Jesus loved us through the whole thing.

So that is my brief recap on 2008. Here's to the New Year and all the joys and trials and opportunities and obstacles that will come with it. Here is to family and friends and to a Savior who loves me and everyone else more than I can even fathom.

Now I'm off to take a bunch of vitamins and cold medications (I got sick from my week in DC) and I'm going to bed!
G'night!

No comments: