Monday, January 26, 2009

Yoga: Ohm Ohm Good!

Forgive my spin on the Campbell's Soup commercial...I couldn't help myself. You know, I am a self proclaimed lame-joke-teller. But I've come to terms with it, even embraced it, and I'm able to cope.

Hey, by the way, the 9th Annual Weblog Awards are going on and you can vote by going here. PW is in a few of the categories so go vote for her!

So this post is actually about yoga. Sort of. At least thats what the title implies. I started my yoga class tonight. It was great. I've missed it a lot. There are lots of reasons why I enjoy yoga. One of them is it's a low impact exercise that can be really challenging. It promotes spinal health. It's not a competitive exercise. You aren't trying to keep up with anyone or be better than everyone, you just do the best you can. You get a lot of stretching in and you build a lot of muscle. You feel really good once it's over and you sleep like a rock. Plus sometimes you lose 5 lbs. Which I really hope happens to me. Again. I lost 5 lbs the first time I took yoga and I'll be honest and say that one of the reasons I'm so enthusiastic about yoga is because I'm hoping I'll drop another 5 lbs. I figure between yoga and the treadmill my prospects are bright!

School is in full swing now. We had our first chemistry lab today. My professor tried to instill a healthy fear in us about working with dangerous chemicals. He succeeded a little bit but I'm probably more afraid of working with fire than I am about working with caustic chemicals. I'm really excited about lab. It's my favorite part of classes. I'm a hands-on type of learner so I get more out of actually doing work than listening to a lecture. I turned in my first assignment in my Human Growth and Development class and I've started my homework for Algebra. This is the first semester I've actually read any of my textbooks for classes other than English. Usually I fall asleep if I try to read a book on sociology or psychology or something like that. I feel like I'm off to a pretty good start. Let's hope it stays that way.

Pam called me tonight while I was between classes and told me that the 9 year old we took a tooth out on this past Friday wasn't the kid we thought she was. Basically, the kid's mom used some other kid's medical card and pretended it was her daughter's. The kid responded to the name on the medical card and everything so she must have been seriously coached so it's sad that a 9 year old had to be involved in that. We found out because I wrote her a doctor's note for school and apparently this morning the school called and said that when they got the note the name we had written was crossed out and the child's real name was written on top of it. After some phone calls and investigation and a police visit it turned out that the Mom was committing insurance fraud. The thing is it's really hard to know when stuff like that is happening. A lot of the medical card kids we see have different last names than the parent who brings them in. We don't usually think twice about seeing a different last name when we get their health histories and things like that so I guess we're going to have to be really strict from now on.

It's supposed to snow tomorrow. Ick! Holly told me she is dying to go out, so if the weather is alright I might swing her down to Target or something. I used to get cabin fever like that too. Now that I work and go to school though I don't mind hanging out at home. When the weather gets nicer though I start to get antsy. I can't wait for warmer weather...hurry up spring!

No comments: