Thursday, August 7, 2008

Quilt Top

Would it sound really vain and silly to say that I really like this quilt? Well, I do. I like the colors and the simplicity and the big blocks...I'm loving deep colors against white or black lately. I got the idea from Joelle Hoverson's book 'Last-Minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts, which lately I've really gotten into and talked about on my other blog a lot. This quilt is loosely based on the 'Stacked Coins' and 'Just Sweet Enough' quilts in that book. It's not very big. It was fun to make. I had this past Tuesday off and with everyone leaving for school I've been pretty bummed (plus some trouble with one of my new co-workers has added to my bummed-out-ness) and a morning out with my sister and an afternoon of sewing was a very nice way to spend the day.I'm not trying to sound sappy here, because I know I'm not the best seamstress (hardly very good at all) and I don't really sew as often as I would really like to, but there is something about working on a sewing project that just helps to keep me in the 'now.' I so often am busy thinking about what will happen in the future or what's happened in the past. Thinking things like "what am I going to do when I finish school?" or "I hope I didn't offend them by saying that," or whatever. Sewing helps me to just focus on the task at hand. Sometimes it's a good way to get my mind off things that are bugging me.

I got out of work early today and went up to town to return a movie to Blockbuster (Bella...a very good movie! I'd recommend it. If you are prone to crying during movies you may want to have a couple of tissues nearby) and run to the grocery store and while I was out I picked up what I needed to finish the quilt. At least, I hope I got enough fabric for the back. Like all my projects I was kind of 'winging' this one and I didn't measure it before I left the house this afternoon so I guess we'll see if I got it right!

I'm not sure where this quilt will end up once it's done. It is a good size for a baby quilt. Or a wall hanging. I guess I'll just hang on to it until I figure out a good home for it.

I'll post pictures once it's finished! Hopefully this weekend. If I do get it finished it will be my first quilt ever! Pretty exciting for me. :) I'd like to make more. Maybe one big enough for my bed. Maybe I'll finish the other quilt I was working on first. That would be nice. :)

2 comments:

Mommy to Cheyenne said...

Beautiful. I love the greens. Green is my favorite color these days. I would love to make a patchwork quilt for Chey someday.

Laura said...

Grace, you're a great seamstress, and I love your quilt!